[Jacob-list] ram lambs

Karen Sigler karen at benjaminfarms.com
Tue Jan 27 11:06:49 EST 2004

    I have a last year ram lamb in with my ewes.  I was wondering at
what point is he no longer a ram lamb by personality,  not by meat
weight.  I have been noticing lately he has been more challenging of me
with the food or if I am on "the path".  I do not see it as aggressive
yet,  more so as I am just one of his herd and I am in the way and he is
just doing what he does with everyone else. When he has challenged me I
have stomped my feet and stood my ground and then he ignores me. Is
there a time know when the sweet ram lamb changes into an aggressive
ram? Is an aggressive ram one that wants to be alpha at all costs?  I
know never to turn your back on any ram ever,  but I was just wondering
at what age ram lambs start wanting to becoming patriarchs.
    Also I was wondering if any one else has noticed their herds playing
about dusk?  It does not matter what pasture or if they are goats,
sheep or llamas.  Sometimes even my dogs are at the fence, barking and
jumping up and down trying to become a part of the action.  It looks
like they are playing a game of tag,  chasing each other around, jumping
on top of things,  high jumps into the air with back kicks.  It is
amazing to watch their acrobatics. I read something once that sheep
don't jump....... I took a picture of my ewe two feet off the ground
just to prove otherwise.
    Pine needles-  I was hoping to have heard more discussion on this.
My books say that they can cause abortions in goats and that they
contain vit. C which goats do not need because they make their own.
Also that the needles can make slight punctures in the throats????  I
have a tree just waiting to go over the fence,  if  it is OK to eat. I
could not find any references to sheep.
Karen Sigler
Benjamin Farms   Utah