[Jacob-list] (Susan Martin's Message)

Bill Thompson Emma at netins.net
Mon Jan 26 00:10:45 EST 2004

-- Original Message -----

From: Susan J Martin
To: jacob-list at jacobsheep.com
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2004 10:04 AM
Subject: [Jacob-list] (no subject)

The only reason I repeat this story is to illustrate how dangerous a ram can be......I know some of the folks on the list are fairly new to sheep.  My aggressive behavior (at least that's how the ram interpreted it) created his response...........i.e. my stupidity could have been fatal.  Because we were trying to hurry, and it was a very cold day..........I neglected to go into the meadow with my shepherd's cane, and I neglected to behave normally.   I prefer not to think about what could have happened.

Sue Martin
Stonecroft

``````Ditto, Amen and all the other words.  I had a ram get out and come at the front of the house while I was on my knees pulling weeds, with you all know what in the air.  My 82 year old father was coming in with the mail,  I foolishly tried to distract him (the ram) and get on the porch before he hurt anyone.  He got me in the most protruding area, and then backed up for two more hits.  My Dad grabbed the horns and Avery backed him into the open screendoor with such force that he bent the closure on the door.  A neighbor cutting a downed tree in the yard ( 76 years old) went to the gate, was opening the chain lock while calling Avery, and that #$% Ram went after him so fast that our neighbor had to jump the fence. Lesson learned, you can't trust a Ram, and some advice given to me on the list several years ago, always have objects i.e. shepherds crook, spraybottle, or escape routes handy.   My husband is never home when things like this happen.  ( By the way, Avery was short stalled for a month and reminded each day how close he was to going to the locker).  Would have gone that day but his horns are too big to get him in the back of my truck with the topper on.  Besides he has the most fantastic fleece.

Please be careful.
Lou Anne from S.W. Iowa