[Jacob-list] ram lambs

Hobsickle at aol.com Hobsickle at aol.com
Sun Jan 25 14:39:25 EST 2004

If memory serves me correctly, the female reproductive tract is slightly
acidic to discourage the growth of bacteria, and hence prevent infection.  I've
heard (but can't document it) that Y-bearing ("male") sperm cells can't tolerate
that acidic environment quite as well as X-bearing ("female") sperm cells,
thus giving a statistical advantage to those sperm that will produce female
offspring.  If these statements are true it would seem logical (though logical
does not always equal true) that factors which decrease the pH (increase acidity)
may favor X-bearing sperm and hence increase percentage of female offspring.

Our stats, for whatever its worth: 2003--13 ewe lambs & 5 ram lambs; 2002-- 2
ewe lambs & 8 ram lambs; 2001-- 9 ewe lambs & 5 ram lambs; 2000-- 1 ewe lambs
& 7 ram lambs.  Though the ratios have swung significantly back and forth
from one year to the next, the four year total is 25 & 25--exactly 50/50.

-Dan