[Jacob-list] Acidity

Wayne & Edie Van Valkenburg joyew at mindspring.com
Sun Jan 25 10:17:25 EST 2004

You are very correct Betty, even though you may have "stumbled upon"  the premise of more acidity makes more ewes.
Wayne heard this mentioned by his father who was raised on a dairy farm and used this method to a degree with the cows for more heifers.
When we first were in Dairy Goats, the 4-H leader advocated using Juniper berries in the feed pans for the mothers and some or vinegar in the water to increase the possibility of does.
When we first moved to our farm 25 years ago our land had not been used for animals in some years.  Our first few years as we pastured breeding animals we had a higher percentage of females.  As we began to lime our percentage began to even out and now because we have changed the soil balance and noticeably a different set of weeds and grass we are very close to 50/50 or less on females in some pastures.
I do not have specifics because I am not a technical person.
This is just my humble observations over the years.
Edie