[Jacob-list] lambs?

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 24 09:00:11 EST 2004

Hi,

The barometric pressure change theory is sure loved by nurses---as well as the full moon theory.

I listened to all the theories I could get my hands on in the early days---and then tracked them to see if the people offering the advice knew what they were talking about :o)).  I have tracked babies coming here since we started (10 years of lambing this spring), and have had the RARE delivery during a storm.  My girls seem to be accommodating in that they deliver either 1-2 days before a big storm (when it is still coming in), OR 1-2 days after the worst of the storm is over.  I think we have only had one actual delivery in a nasty snow/ice event.  Now it is important to keep in mind that we start getting ice storms in December, and they can happen at any point through February-----and my lambing usually starts mid-February.  I will say that rain is also something I consider "storm", and I just haven't had to go out very often in that weather.  I would have had a much better indicator had I lived in the NE or upper mid-west where the snow events are much more often and of longer
 duration.

Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN
ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep:  Lambs, adults, wool