[Jacob-list] Tail Docking

Mary Spahr spahrfarm at dragonbbs.com
Fri Jan 16 14:59:52 EST 2004

We have occasionally missed a lamb or two at docking time.  They happened to be ones destined for market, so were not kept too long.  We did have one registered Jacob ewe that I recall who had a longer than normal dock, with ample fleece (for a Jacob).  She continually had manure caked under and around her tail area.  We had her sheared before flies got a chance to lay eggs.  Yes, there are no doubt sheep who have tails and get by without flystrike, but as I mentioned before, I would rather dock each and every one than have one unfortunate sheep to develop this problem.  I have seen maggot infestation in our English Angora rabbits who have not cleaned themselves very well.  I have such a strong dislike for maggots that I am not willing to take a chance with our lambs.
My husband and I both come from several generations of farmers and value the advice handed down from many generations of those before us.  Farmers in this area have typically docked tails as a precaution against flystrike.  I do not feel that we need to have a control group of lambs to determine that flies can and will lay eggs on lambs with tails, whether it be one lamb or many.
On the other hand, if someone lives in an area with a different climate without a fly problem, not docking tails may work for them.  It is totally up to the shepherd how he/she manages their flock.  I do hope that sheep who have had their tails conservatively docked are not discriminated against as being 'less natural' or the breeder considered to be covering up the true length of the tail.  I believe that even if the tail were atypical, other atypical traits would also be evident.

Mary Spahr