[Jacob-list] Tails

Wayne & Edie Van Valkenburg joyew at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 16 10:29:10 EST 2004

Hi Everyone,
In double checking the breed standard for JSBA as of January 2000, the only mention of the tail is in the first category, Desirable Traits.
There is no mention in either of the other categories.Acceptable or Disqualifying one.
Thus it is up to the discretion of the inspector.  If there are several disqualifying traits and the tail is also very long and hairy then it might come in to play, but I would never fail an animal just on the tail.
We dock because one of our horses stepped on a lambs tail when she was sleeping next to him.  She got up and left her outer tail behind.  It cost up quite a bit for the vet to put her to sleep and sew her up.
It has not seemed to hurt sales.
Edie Van Valkenburg, JSBA Inspector
Joy Farm