[Jacob-list] tails

Betty Berlenbach lambfarm at sover.net
Fri Jan 16 06:44:52 EST 2004

So, now do you think that was a variation on the boys' gym shower room comparisons, or a variation on the Victorian "curtains hanging all the way to the floor and beyond, to show we have enough money to buy extra material" bit.

I think there's plenty of variation with tails within the breed standard.  I have a couple with longish tails, but the actual bone of the tail is not below the hock.  The tails are just very furry and long haired, as are the fleeces on those two.  Some of the length is taken up in fleece/hair/whatever.  Ingrid told me that it is the bone that has to be no longer than hock, not the fiber.  These two little girls are iffy, in that they have such "furry" tails, but I'm waiting to see them at their full height, to see if legs growing, the tails don't seem to be all that long anyway.  Then, I'll see what happens to them.  They came from a ewe who had been docked, and who consistently produces longer tails than the others, but when I started, I didn't know much about tails and docking, so I was a prime sucker for buying docked ewes without inquiring about the original tail length.  She has produced beautiful lambs in all other regards, so I haven't culled her descendents totally out of the flock.  Trying, over time, to shorten the tail.  However, since the tails are there, there is always truth in advertising, and my customers know what they are getting!