[Jacob-list] tails

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Thu Jan 15 18:29:40 EST 2004

We have pretty much stopped docking tails, though here in North Carolina, there is some greater need. This is more for cleaner looks than for health. There is a greater tendency to tag. They do make a nice jingling sound when they run. We have also stopped castrating, since our primary market is for our Muslim friends.

I know the Breed Standard is for a tail approximately the length of the hocks, but I am not willing to bet the farm that there is not some natural variation in length. It would be interesting to get some feed-back on number of vertebra, and how this compares with actual length.

By the way, somewhere I read that years ago, domestic sheep WERE bred for longer tails as a status symbol or something. We have forgotten more through the years than we know.

Neal Grose