[Jacob-list] Re: Breed Standard on Docked Tails

Dave & Katrina oberlef at supernet.com
Fri Jan 16 07:02:41 EST 2004

I think your thoughts are sensible, Karen. If the breeder is at least
watching tail length, that goes a long way.  After all, I think most
breeders are amazingly diligent!
I just think it is amazing that many breeders do not even know to look for
this in their sheep, and wonder why.   In the JSBA notebook on page 7-3
under the section about tails, it says that "tail length will give breeders
a clue about purity." Later it says the "tail reaches only just to the
hock"  I really don't think this is a fad, but that as the numbers of
Jacobs go up we have more flexiblity in chosing the animals that are better
representations of the breed.
Katrina Lefever, Chicory Lane

to be no longer than the hock, I (and others) aren't going to buy sheep
whose tails have been docked which means we don't know if the sheep meets
the breed standard or not.<

> Hi Betty,
> Re: your comments about tail length and the breed standard... I can't
comment on the JSC Breed standard as I don't have a copy here, but I
couldn't find anything in the JSBA breed standard that disqualifies a lamb
if it's tail is longer than the hock.

> I could only find two references to tail length...
> 1 ) In the "Desirable Traits" section it says "The natural Jacob tail
reaches almost to the hock; is wooly, not hairy."

> 2) In the Unacceptable/Disqualifying Traits" section it lists "Fat or
short tailed" (which would indicate crossing with a fat tailed breed - like
Karakul, or a Northern short tail breed - like Shetland or Icelandic)

> I see nothing that indicates that a lamb with a tail longer (or shorter)
then the hock is an automatic cull.  To my way of thinking it would just
have a "less desirable" tail.  Have I missed something?

> We dock tails here, have had no problems and will continue to do so.
But, we also take photos of all lambs shortly after birth when their tails
are still very attached.  That helps us document color percentage, wool
type, tail length, etc. and helps us identify them later if they lose an
ear tag.

> I'm guessing that taking photos of the new lambs is a fairly common
practice among Jacob breeders, especially since the lambs are so cute.  If
your primary concern with docked tails is that you can't determine the
natural tail length you could always ask to see a lamb photo.

> Based on the many photos I've seen in the past few years of American
Jacob sheep I'd have to say that the majority have docked tails.  It seems
to me that rejecting potential breeding stock because of docked tails would
certainly narrow your genetic options.