[Jacob-list] tags and tracking

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Tue Jan 6 20:09:42 EST 2004

A couple of points:

1)
 Let me clarify that photos or drawings of animals are considered legal
identification of Holsteins ONLY if the picture is cross-referenced to a
permanent identification number and this information is recorded by the
breed association. My comments on coloration pretained to legal
identification ONLY and were based on a court case involving stolen animals.
This has nothing to do with government market requirements.

 A Holstein cow may well have the following:
*An identifying photo
*A "herd management" number
*A permanent registration number recognized by the National Association of
Animal Breeders as well as international breed organizations
*A unique USDA-DHIA metal tag
*A USDA brucellosis metal tag
All of this works only as well as the effort that is made to keep track of
it all.

2)
 I also heard about the calves that were to be slaughtered for safety sake.
The problem is that everyone that works with this problem assumes that the
general public has a seven second attention span.
Almost everything that is being done is so that the general public will get
the impression, deservedly or not, that the government is DOING SOMETHING.
a) BSE is caused by prions: malformed, self replicating proteins.
b) Proteins cannot normally cross the intestine and get into the blood
stream, only the amino acid building blocks for proteins.
c) Prions cannot cross the blood/brain barrier.
d)Transmission of BSE is thought to occur directly from the gut to the brain
via the vagus nerve.
e) Blood is considered a very low risk transmitter for BSE.
f) Those "products" of blood (milk and fetal tissues) have "for all
practical purposes"  NO chance of being infectious.

Neal