[Jacob-list] tags and tracking

Linda Bjarkman patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Tue Jan 6 18:08:42 EST 2004

The TV news stated that quite a number of cattle were to be butchered to insure that
the infected cow's calf would be eliminated as they weren't sure which was her calf.
 A SC newspaper earlier reported that there was an effort going on to locate the
infected cow's calf "even though transmission from cow to calf was unlikely."
I'm sure I'm not getting the whole scoop on this, but something's not right with
those reports.

I thought that the requirement for sheep to be tagged from point of origin went into
effect back around 2001.  If you had sheep on your farm in 2001 and they left, they
had to have your tags if they were not already tagged from the previous owner.

I read the following on the Goats list and wondered if anyone else has heard of this

>We received notice that under the Volunteer Scrapie Program, we will now
>have to have our private vet come out and do skin scrapings on the herd
>and send a letter to the state. In my case, this could be cost-prohibitive
>of remaining on the program--is there anyone else that feels this way?
>Also, I received another notice today about lower-status "rams" being
>allowed in without affecting herd status under certain circumstances.
>There is an inference in the notice that some herds have been allowed to
>purchase "rams" not on the program without losing status--Does anyone know
>anything about this?

Linda

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 17:28:52 -0500, Neal and Louise Grose wrote:

> The cow with BSE almost certainly was tagged and identified in  Canada with
>the same system. A beef cow would have been much more difficult  to trace. As
>it was, the governmentS did a lot of shuffling feet and hum hawing  around.
>Can you say "consumer confidence?"
>
>Neal Grose ----- Original Message ----- From:    Mary    Hansson To: jacob-
>list at jacobsheep.com Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 4:37    PM Subject:
>[Jacob-list] tags and    tracking