[Jacob-list] just to rattle some chains out there.....

Linda Bjarkman patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Sat Jan 3 20:19:52 EST 2004

I agree with you, Mary Ellen, that we should not just assume that herbs and dirt(?)
are safe or effective.  We should (and most of the serious herbalists I know do -
(I'm not a serious herbalist anymore than I am a doctor)) research and read and
perhaps understand the chemical composition and the relationship to "modern" drugs.
(My doctor prescribes herbals when he feels they are the best choice and our
pharmacist attends herbal conferences).  I had a minor problem using a very popular
herb which I took without researching it and I'm not going to continue to blindly
assume that ingesting trees is safe.

But, we can certainly see the effects of medically approved treatments gone wrong.
Thalidomide was probably one of the most horrific and publicised of my generation,
but there have sure been others.  When radiation was first approved for cancer
treatments, no one knew how much to use, so they just used all they could.  The
effects of that are now being seen.  And, if we watch any TV or read any newspapers,
we can't avoid seeing drug recalls - "Oops, sorry" says the FDA.  I'm abit skeptical
about their claims on a long term basis as I don't think that most of the FDA test
scan 30 years.

Yep - I'll use some herbs and I'll use some prescription drugs, but I won't use any
of them without knowing as much as I possibly can about what's I'm taking.

Since we are talking here about sheep and not MY sore throat, I think that doctoring
livestock is abit different from taking your children to the doctor.  I want to know
what I'm giving to my sheep, but I have a much more casual attitude towards
doctoring them than I had with my daughter.  As for topical treatments, if I try an
herbal ointment and it doesn't work, I'll just go get some TripleB or inject some
antibiotic.  I can try herbal wormers and by using fecal exams know if they are
working.  If not - go for the chemicals.  I had the vet out when a ram got tangled
in the electric fence and suffered nerve damage - the treatment? keep him alive
until he recovers.  Sometimes that is all you can do for a sheep.  BTW, he did
recover after being down for two weeks, but his lambs were so ugly, he died shortly
after lambing season.

Linda