[Jacob-list] tags

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Sat Jan 3 10:54:47 EST 2004

We lamb on pasture. When ever possible, I go out and tackle the lambs the same day they are born and tag them then; because , otherwise, they cannot be caught. We use the 1 inch button tags. While their heads may hang sideways for a few days, they do not walk in circles, and I have had little problem with them. There seems to be more tendency for tags to cause infection when animals are tagged as adults.

We have to bite the bullet when tagging. The recent BSE flap means that we ARE going to a "Birth to table" monitoring of ALL livestock. I recently saw something on retinal identification in cows. (OK, you hold the cow still...) The implanting of microchips such as they use for pet identification is probably a better bet.

Neal Grose