[Jacob-list] tags

Betty Berlenbach lambfarm at sover.net
Sat Jan 3 07:38:55 EST 2004

I tag the sheep when they are born, two days old, while still in lambing jugs, as part of my daily visit with them. (I find that if I spend time playing with each new lamb for the first three days, making them look at me, holding them, right next to mama, so she doesn't have a fit, they friendly up a bit faster, and therefore are a lot easier to sell.  Before they leave the lambing pens, they have their scrapie tags on.  They tend not to infect at that point...mother's immunities?  I don't know.  They tend to get infected when tagged older around here, like when a tag falls out and I have to retag or something like that.