[Jacob-list] warning

Victoria da Roza castlerockjacobs at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 27 14:25:16 EST 2004

HI List,
  Just had somthing happen I thought might be of
interest to everyone. As I think I mentioned before ,
about 4 weeks ago they took a golfball sized tumor out
of my neck.  Worse than that was that in putting the
pipe down my throat for general anesthetic they cut
the flesh away from the bone in my mouth.  That is
still barely healing and required many special mouth
rinses everyday, including prescription mouthwash.
Anyway I think all this ran down my immune system,
which is not that great in that I have already had 2
different kinds of cancer.
   All this is the context of the infection I aquired.
 About 10 days ago Boots got my shin sideways with his
horn while I was putting his food in the container.
It was through sweat pants and did not really bleed
that much and looked like more of a scrape.  With the
neck and mouth pain I did not really pay that much
attention to it after cleaning it initially.  about 10
days ago I noticed it was getting a little red around
the scab and cleaned it twice a day with peroxide and
put on neosporin.  Three days ago I noticed the red
was beginning to travel down my leg and the foot was
puffing up.  Next day the foot began to turn black all
the way across the ankle.  Yesterday I went to the dr.
because the red and black are now half way down the
foot to the toes.
   After 4 drs. giving their opinion they decided to
put me on the new super drug cleocin rather than
hospitalize me and put me on antibiotic IV.  They say
I am very near going to sepsis (old name blood
poisioning).  So I am on 300 mg. 4 times a day for 10
days which is pretty hefty.
   When helping Nibbles deliver the boys I wore rubber
gloves and each time I came in I put my clothes in the
washer to try and keep sterile with my 2 wounds.  The
drs. feel the infection has to do with the ram strike
and not with the neck or mouth wound.
   So I thought individuals should know how serious a
little scrape can be and if the red starts spreading,
get to a dr.  If I had waited till I had chills, fever
or lethargy it would have been past the point of
return.  Remember Jim Hanson of Muppet fame died in 24
hours of sepsis?  If this happens then cleocin is the
drug of choice.
   Maybe no other shepherd is as puny as I am but it
truly looked like a very minor scrape that I cleaned
immediately.  At no point in all this was there any
pain except when the ankle swelled like a balloon and
the skin felt tight.
   I jut thought I should mention it.  Victoria

=====
Victoria
Castle Rock Farm
Jacob Sheep & Nigerian Dwarf Goats