[Jacob-list] ist shearing

B&B bandb at in-tch.com
Sun Feb 22 10:26:58 EST 2004

Hi everyone,

I ususally lurk, but now want to talk about my little Jacob ewe.  She was
just sheared, and before skirting her fleece weight was just 2 lbs.  I was
really disappointed by the shearing, as it was such a mess.  The fleece was
gouged up and there were many second cuts, and I almost felt like crying as
I was going through it. She was pretty clean so skiring and picking was
easy. Is that a normal weight for a short yearling?  And what kind of weight
can I expect on a mature ewe fleece?

The wool was not cohesive that is it has little lanolin so did not hang
together as a unit.  There was some kemp seen but not in the main body of
the fleece, which I thought was good.  The hand is good and colors distinct
and the strength was good.  I was surprised by the color. She is a lilac,
and appeared a cool shade of dark brown, however, once sheared those brown
shades now appear gray.  I probably will sell this wool if I can  since I
can't keep up with all the wool I have, but it looked like such a mess with
the colors all tumbled together that I sorted out the colored from the
white, and will try to sell it that way, and because this fleece was
impossible to roll or  hang together as a unit.  What is ususally done?  How
do you ususally present your wool for selling?  Can I expect it ever to hang
together, or is this customary for this breed of sheep.    Do most of you
sell it seperated?  I wonder if I should have left it together?

Well I would sure like to hear what most of you do with your wool and how
you handle it, and if you think she is normal or is this because she is
young.
Thanks,
Barbara