[Jacob-list] Help on New Lambs

kbarrett at oregontrail.net kbarrett at oregontrail.net
Tue Feb 3 15:31:24 EST 2004

I generally try to band the tails by the 3rd day, I think it is less painful
while the tails are still small, and they fall off quicker. I attempt to make a
decision on the rams by the last CDT injection...about 6 weeks, when their
testicles are fully descended.  I bet that it is painful...but it seems to be
brief.  With the market lambs, which I know I won't keep any rams from, I band
them the first day or so, because ram lambs are born with descended testicles
and then they scoot back up for a while. Many of the ranchers I know band
immeadiatly after birth...with the selinium shot and iodine on the navel, but I
have never had the heart, and I think it may be expecially tough if the lamb is
weak in anyway.   Make sure to get both of them...it is hard to clean up
mistakes...cost me about $10 at the vet per missed testicle the first couple
years. I have one ram lamb from last spring waiting for the butchers, and I
wish I had banded him...he is beating his shelter to death, and is very
agressive. I caved into my teenage son, who really liked this guy...he is not a
well marked Jacob, and has a side horn growing into his face, and now he is
destroying things while in the lambchop pen.  The other ram lamb I kept is just
perfect, a real gentleman, and still has a long tail, as he kept escaping the
day we did tails...it is quite beautiful. But yes in general the ram lambs
become agressive by the first breeding season if they are going to be
agressive. However if you band them young you will most certainly band the
perfect Jacob ram...we have all done it.
Good luck with your lambs
Kate Barrett
Ruby Peak Jacobs