[Jacob-list] Re: butting rams

Donnangelo,Nicholas C. ncd at mitre.org
Fri Dec 10 09:40:01 EST 2004

I have electric fencing around my sheep paddocks and have not found it
effective, it works great if they touch it with their nose, but if they bump
with their head or body the wool/dead horn acts an a very effective insulator.
Also the period of contact is so short in butting, and the frequency of the
fencer so low (about once a second), that even if he did solidly connect the
chances are he wouldn't be shocked anyway.  While my ram has destroyed his share
of fence posts and boards the real problem  (at least for me) is the run in
sheds, which cannot be electrified even if I found that it worked with my
herd.   Nick

rlynde wrote