[Jacob-list] Re: butting rams

rlynde rlynde at onramp113.org
Fri Dec 10 00:50:01 EST 2004

Electric fence works wonders. I had a terrible time breeding to 5 rams last
year and one killed the other through a wire fence. After breeding season I
put up electric fence. I used 3 strands (one on top for the llama, 2 at nose
level and lower) to protect existing fence and used 6 wires (I think--I'd
have to go out and count) to construct new fence between paddocks. This year
I had no ram problems. Now, I also minimized ram-to-ram contact through
fences this year. But in the one area where I had two breeding groups next
to each other I'd see the rams back up as though they were going to run at
each other. But they'd do it half-heartedly and stop before they hit the
fence.
Robin Lynde
Meridian Jacobs
Vacaville, CA