[Jacob-list] rams and breaking things......

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 9 18:38:33 EST 2004

Hi,

I had a friend who had a 2 year old ram break her building apart a number of times.  Each time, the husband dutifully rebuilt the structure--only for the ram to beat it apart again the next day.  After about the 4th rebuild, hubby put in a solid 4X4 post at the corner.  The found the ram dead at the base of the corner of that post the next morning with a broken skull.  He had hit the CORNER of the post square on to the center of his forehead and popped it wide open.

On another note......Found my young ram, Andre, lying around this evening.  Upon checking him out, it appears he has taken a horn in the horn so to speak.  There is a skin tear at the base of one upright.  That side of his head/face is quite swollen and tender.  I can't find any jaw breaks, and no sign of terror of the dogs (as if they got him guarding a food bowl---which they SHOULD).  My bet is that one of the girls nailed him hard a couple days ago at the food trough.  I have used a long-acting antibiotic to fight the obvious infection.  I can't get any drainage otherwise.  Any other suggestions?

Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN
ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep:  Lambs, adults, wool