[Jacob-list] (no subject)

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Thu Dec 9 13:35:00 EST 2004

I had a ram like that.  He was pretty good until he turned two.  He had, in his growing up years, made threatening
moves towards me.  I kept throwing water in his face until he quit that behaviour.  But, he then got more and more
aggressive towards any structure.   You couldn't even walk by outside the fence if you were carrying a board without
him charging the fence.  He wouldn't charge people walking by unless they were carrying something.  He put holes in
every wall he could reach.  I made him a special shelter where he didn't have access to the sides.  It had a low roof
and he began to charge the roof.  That was a sight. He spent his last few months with us standing in the rain.  He was
with his ewes when the behaviour started, so I can't say that he was bored or lonely.  He managed to tear one of the
doors off the trailer on the way to the butcher.  Then managed to knock a board almost off the bull pen at the
butchers.

I wish I could come up with a remedy other than mine.  This ram got progressively worse.  I got him soccer balls to
beat up on, threw in metal garbage cans for him to vent on, nothing ever did even slow him down.

Just a note:  I have not seen a higher percentage of aggressive behaviour in his descendants.  In fact, some have been
among the mellowest.

Linda