[Jacob-list] 'rise' v shedding

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 9 12:35:58 EDT 2004

Juliet,

I have seen fleece characteristics change in the sheep that were in CO that moved to other parts of the country.  I see a different quality handle on sheep in MO than those same sheep that then move on to NC where I live.  I have also seen fleece coarsen that went from NC to New England---and those are micron tests that determined the coarsening in this particular case.

Climate and diet all influence fleece tremendously----a simple little fact that I would love to see flushed out with micron testing on a more objective level.  We have so much to learn about this breed!

Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN
ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep:  Lambs, adults, wool