[Jacob-list] Ram lambs

ACAMDA at aol.com ACAMDA at aol.com
Wed Apr 14 12:31:44 EDT 2004

Okay, I think I have accepted the inevitable - I MUST get rid of some of
those cute, "lovable" ram lambs that were born this year.  We had 9 lambs born - 6
rams, 3 ewes.

So now I need advice - At what age do you sell them?  They are still nursing,
but much less interested in Mama.  Oldest is 6 weeks old.  I don't want to
take them to the livestock auction, but prefer to advertise in the paper and
Market Bulletin.  I've heard there are specialty websites for organic leg of
lamb, etc.  Has anyone tried anything like that?

I plan to wether them all, as I've heard that this does not affect the
quality or taste of the meat.  Is this true?  They may not all go in the freezer
when they leave, but that's a possibility.  My family staunchly refuses to eat
them.  We'll work on that next year.

How have you had the most success?  I hope to keep one or two wethers for the
fleece, but since they've eaten everything in sight so far, I'm not sure what
I'll feed them!

Thanks for your help!

Kathey
Sweet Georgia Valley