[Jacob-list] overprotective ram father during lambing?

Susan Nielsen snielsen at orednet.org
Thu Apr 8 12:23:41 EDT 2004

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Mary Hansson wrote:

> Very few breeders keep a ram in except during breeding season for
> this very reason.  Breeders have been hurt and lambs have been killed.
> Sounds like you were just plain lucky.

Just so we remember, ewes can be unexpectedly aggressive at lambing,
too. One of mine, who is not especially mushy friendly at the best of
times, apparently thinks her lamb this year is the Crown Prince. When
HRH emerged, she was not about to have him messed with. In the small
space of the jug, I found myself pinned to the corner with a lamb
in my arms and a big ewe climbing up my frame. I mean, she came
right up into my face and looked down her nose at me. It took two
of us to give him his BoSe shot, and then we skedaddled out of there.

By the next morning her attitude had improved a little. But you
need to watch out for farm animals any time. They can be strong and
quick, and with opinions.

Susan
--
Susan Layne Nielsen, Shambles Workshops      	|"...Gently down the
Beavercreek, OR, USA -- snielsen at orednet.org  	|stream..." -- Anon.