[Jacob-list] overprotective ram father during lambing?

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 8 11:27:33 EDT 2004

Kelly,

Very few breeders keep a ram in except during breeding season for this very reason.  Breeders have been hurt and lambs have been killed.  Sounds like you were just plain lucky.

Mary Ellen

Kelly Przylepa and Rich Moore <kellyandrich at earthlink.net> wrote:
My ewes have finally started delivering. I have kept the ram in with the
flock. During the first delivery, the ram joined the ewe in our shed and
would not let me near her. He even mounted her after 1 was out and I knew
there had to be a second coming due to her size. The second one came out and
was still and did not appear to be breathing. The mom was still busy licking
# 1 so I felt I needed to get to #2 and stimulate it to begin breathing. I
reached it, rubbed it vigorously, and it started to move and the mom took
over .Then the ram butted me but luckily I was able to escape. When my
husband got home, we were able to pen together the ram and wether to
separate them from the ewes so I can continue to be sheep midwife and be
protected from an overzealous father.Has anyone heard about this behavior?
Or was I being stupid by keeping the ram in with the ladies? This is our
second year lambing and last year there was no ram on the premises during
lambing season.

Kelly

Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN
ISeeSpots Farm