[Jacob-list] nursing, worming, and musing

Gillian Fuqua gillianfuqua at adelphia.net
Sat Apr 3 19:29:18 EST 2004

	I watch my nursing lamb for pooping and peeing, I used to check my
daughter's diaper because I was convinced she wasn't nursing well
enough.
	On your sheep Kelley, here's what I am thinking.  Your whole flock has
been through a great deal in the past 12 months.  What you may have is
some seriously stressed out animals.  I also think that sometimes less
intervention is better.  Animals pick up on our anxiety and that
stresses them out as well.  If you've ever dealt with horses you know
that they get really torqued when you are and when they outweigh you by
1000 pounds, calm is in order.  I think the same is true with most
other animals, as well as kids (the clinical social worker who supports
the shepherd shows through).  What I would do is less.  Take some deep
breaths before you go to the barn and go about business as usual.  Look
for signs of health rather than pathology and that will help you
refocus.  I think that also deciding how much you want to do before you
decide that you have done your best.  At the risk of sounding
heartless, some of your flock might not survive all the stress. You
might also want to try some lamb starter pellets for weight gain.  I
have a very timid yearling who was skeletal upon shearing because she
eats slowly and gets beat up.  I put her on the organic pellets and she
is much improved after 10 days.
	Having said all this, I am not a very experienced shepherdess.  Lots
of years with really disturbed kids has made me ultra aware of two
things: 1. that my own calm does more good than a lot of treatment does
and 2. that I can't help everyone.  I would be curious what other folks
think.  I wish you, Kelley, the best of luck.

Gillian