[Jacob-list] Lamb nursing?

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 2 12:17:21 EST 2004

Kathey and all,

That lamb would have been dead probably Wed afternoon had it not nursed.  It sounds like there are no problems with it.  Some lambs just nurse quietly and rather discretely while others are quite open and often about the procedure.  If you have a ewe that is quite frightened of people, then you are likely to have a lamb that will respond in kind.

Lambs that are not getting enough nourishment are those that stay hunched up (loook in the Managing Your Ewe book at a lamb picture of a cold/chilled lamb for a good picture), they cry often, and don't run around lots.

These sheep shouldn't NEED to be supplemented except in very extenuating circumstances.....and then it becomes a breeding and judgment call as to whether you should cull the animal or whether it is more a shepherding issue.

Would I want to purchase a supplemented lamb?  Very likely not, but I would absolutely want to know it's history.

Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN
ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep:  Lambs, adults, wool