[Jacob-list] Lamb nursing?

ACAMDA at aol.com ACAMDA at aol.com
Fri Apr 2 11:32:22 EST 2004

Good Morning, everyone!

Our last ewe lambed on Tuesday.  It was her first lamb, and appears to be a
ewe also. (The only time we've caught her it was too dark to tell anything
except by feel!)  The Mom, Hannah, is our shyest ewe, and won't let any of us get
close.

My concern is that I haven't seen the lamb nurse.  All my other mothers
delivered twins and were nursing within minutes it seemed.  My husband and I both
work, so we can only watch then early in the morning and in the evening.  Greg
says that the lamb must be nursing, since it's up and walking and following
Mom.  I'm wondering if it is still relying on the energy it had from the womb,
and it slowly starving.

What do you think?  Is it possible to "supplement" just in case?  If we don't
see the little one nurse what else should we watch for?  I've considered
locking them up together in a "jug" kind of arrangement, but Hannah (the Mom) is
so skittish I'm afraid I'll scare her to death.

Thanks for your advice!  So nice to know you're around!

Kathey
Sweet Georgia Valley