[Jacob-list] Shearing

RnS1260 at aol.com RnS1260 at aol.com
Thu Apr 1 09:27:01 EST 2004

Sue,
We also dislike seeing our little sheep shiver. This past week we received a
newsletter form Pipestone Vet Supply that eased our worries. Ketosis (Twin
Lamb Disease) is a metabolic disease of late gestation ewes. The disease exists
when the nutrient requirements of the growing lambs in the uterus exceed the
nutrient intake of the ewe. Prevention- Ewes carrying twins need 180% more
nutrient energy intake than ewes carrying singles and for ewes with triplets the
number is 240%. (Shearing ewes before lambing increases feed intake and thus is
beneficial in preventing ketosis.) Feeding grain starting at about six weeks
before lambing and moving from poor quality hay is beneficial. With prolific
ewes, grain, specifically corn, is necessary as the ewe does not have room in
the abdomen for feed. Hope this is a help to you as it has been for us.
Cheryl and Daisey
Rise 'N' Shine Farm

Sheepletter is published 10 times yearly by Sheep World