[Jacob-list] Re: Lilacs

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Mon Sep 29 22:30:18 EDT 2003

Dr. Sponenberg says that "lilac" is used for "not black" by Jacob breeders.

    The results that we have here from test crosses seem to be consistent with what Dan shows as a "Brown" series where dominant black is modified by a recessive at the brown locus. The action here is as though we are seeing partial albinism. [I floated this idea to Dr. Sponenberg, but he said it was highly unlikely that 'lilac' is at the albino locus (C). Yet another modifier!] Some sort of modification at the B locus makes more sense.
    Our Jacobs are clearly black (or "lilac"), but the tone has been described as "warm" by several who have more experience with color perception (have some artistic training). By this standard, Holsteins are "cool" black. This raises the possibility that the brown locus is "warming" the expression of black in these bloodlines.

    If a "chocolate lilac" (brown) were crossed to a "grey", since the brown retains the dominant black (unexpressed), then there is a chance that a black lamb can be produced. [EdEd,BbBb,AaAa X E+E+,B+B+,AgAg = EdE+,BbB+,AaAg ]

Neal Grose

PS: I found a picture a few months ago of a Corriedale X Cotswold X Finn wether that we had about 12 years ago that was black with a large, distinct brown saddle across on his back. Weird.