[Jacob-list] Re: Lilacs

Betty Berlenbach lambfarm at sover.net
Sun Sep 28 07:08:03 EDT 2003

So, shetland grey is recessive to jacob white?  ANd perhaps the coloration
showed the recessive gene each got?  The brown from the lilac, the black
from the black?  In which case shetland grey covers piebald, whereas
shetland moorit does not?  This is getting complex, and drawing any
conclusions from such a small sampling seems precipitive.  What if anyone
out there with jacobs and shetlands were willing to take one jacob ewe (with
or without lilac hidden gene, but specify) and cross it with a shetland ram:
white, grey, black, mooit (we'd need some of each, Ithink.)  ANd record the
progeny in one central place.  That way, each of us would lose one purebred
progeny, instead of one person trying to get all this data together?  I'd be
happy to use a moorit on a black and white with no lilac recessive, which I
have plenty of.  Then, of course, once that is done, we need to do the
opposite: jacob ram (bl, lilac) on each of the shetland colored ewes, to see
what happens.  ANd the tricky part is to make sure that those progeny don't
end up in the gene pool of either breed!  We might keep photos...What say
you, listers?