[Jacob-list] Re: Lilacs

Betty Berlenbach lambfarm at sover.net
Sat Sep 27 15:59:50 EDT 2003

Wow, and that's a shetland  cross, huh?  It will be interesting to see what happens with the shetland crossed "jacob" lambs when they are bred, either to a shetland or to a jacob!  Interestingly, when a shetland is crossed with a black and white jacob, in my experience, the lamb is black.  (It was a moorit shetland.  Not sure what would happen with a more dominant shetland color.  This could get very confusing.  HOwever, it might be of interest to note that the dominance in shetlands goes like this, in order of most to least dominant (usually): white, grey and beige, black, moorit.  I wonder what would happen with lilac jacob and GREY shetland!  Or black.  It seems like it is not only color but piebald connected to color, since moorit shetland to black and white jacob produced pure black baby!  I wonder if in jacobs the dominance is similar, that is, that lilac (greys) are dominant to black!  And "chocolate lilac" is a moorit, not a lilac/grey at all!  Don't have any grey or black ram lambs at the moment, but next year, if I get them, and if you want to play that game, I'll try to send them south!

Guess I should have posted this to the list...hmm..will go back and try