[Jacob-list] (no subject)

Susan J Martin stonecroft235 at juno.com
Wed Sep 17 02:06:59 EDT 2003

We have come to the conclusion that there is no perfect way to feed hay.
We have tried various options and what we presently do is feed the hay in
large, rubber tubs - we have a number of them scattered around, put a
leaf or two in each -- and there is still waste.  We typically feed
alfalfa, and my darling little woolies very carefully nose through each
stem of alfalfa and eat off the leaves and blossoms - and then scatter
the stems around -- and when stuff is on the ground and stepped on,
pooped on, etc., my discriminating little ones will have nothing to do
with it --  they would prefer to starve!!!  The tubs are a pain because
they have to be dumped when it rains and they certainly aren't
perfect.....but, there isn't any component whereby horns can be caught,
it sorta keeps the hay in one place off the ground - well, that is until
they have gone through it and scattered it and ultimately wasted it, and
it is inexpensive.  The waste is annoying - we just recently approached a
farmer to buy alfalfa hay and he wants $250/ton -- we are looking for
something cheaper, but when I think about paying that price and then
having much of it pooped on,  it is disheartening.  Last summer we had a
drought here, so good hay was expensive in the winter - this summer it
has rained quite a bit and farmers had a difficult time getting their hay
baled and out of the fields, and thus hay is again expensive.

Sue Martin
Stonecroft Manor
Lititz, PA