[Jacob-list] Re:OT duck Q

MarmontJacobs at aol.com MarmontJacobs at aol.com
Mon Sep 15 11:29:17 EDT 2003

Hi Thom,
             We do Muscovies for the table each year and I find them much
less hassle to prepare than chicken. Yes, ducks have a crop, but it is long and
narrow compared to a chicken, so less likely to get in the way cf a chicken's -
and no horrible smell if you do either. They have a "squeaker box" which can
make you jump if you squash it while cleaning out  - LOL...or Muscovies do
anyway.

Plucking is serious hard work unless you wet pluck or use a machine. We boil
up water in one of those huge lidded tea urns (yes, this is the UK), plunge
the deceased in for under a minute depending on size, hang up by the feet and
plucking's easy.

Trisha, Marmont Jacobs, Wales