[Jacob-list] Just a couple of questions

ACAMDA at aol.com ACAMDA at aol.com
Wed Sep 10 10:26:48 EDT 2003

The list has been so quiet, I wanted to write and ask a couple of questions
just to be sure everyone is still there.  (Don't leave me!)

1.  Now that breeding season is upon us, is it detrimental NOT to breed a ewe
every year, but say every other year?  We don't want to increase our herd too
rapidly, or be forced to decide who stays and who goes to market, so we're
thinking of breeding only part of our girls this year.  All are over 2 years of
age, but I have heard through the "grapevine" that farm animals are happier,
healthier, etc if they are bred regularly.  True?

2.  With the cool, crisp air, coming in super rats have invaded out basement
where we store feed.  We keep it all in metal trash cans, but they seem to
find even the smallest amount of waste reason to party.  We're talking horror
movie size rats.  I'm not overly fond of poisons because of our dogs and kids.
Any suggestions on how you keep the rodent population down?  Our cats are
chicken, and the dogs have good intentions, but rarely catch anything.  And these
rats laugh at the live traps we've set out.

Thanks!  Happy Fall!

Kathey Williamson
Sweet Georgia Valley
Athens, GA