[Jacob-list] Sheep Guard dogs

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 23 05:52:55 EDT 2003

Karen and all,

I have used GPs and have a GP/Anatolian mix now for a
number of years.  I wouldn't have sheep if I didn't
have my LGD---it is how important I feel they are for
protection of my flock.  In fact, I am looking into
becoming a host farm to try out rescued Pyrs as LGDs
to get more of them doing what they were born to do in
our area of the country.  My current dog is a young
adult, but in another couple years, I will be looking
to get her a youngster to fine tune into my next LGD.

There are several great sites on the web to gather
information from.  www.c-c-farms.com I think is
one---if you don't get it with that, do a search for
"beverly coate great pyrenees rescue".  She is in OK
and has probably had more advice that worked for me
(percentage wise) over the 7-8 years we have had dogs
than any other single source.  Her book is great.  Her
approach is practical and straightforward.  She tends
to create as many friends as enemies, so tends to be
quite controversial in the rescue world.

Catherine de la Cruz is the nation's foremost expert
on LGDs, has been involved in one of the oldest
purebred dog rescue organizations (Great Pyr) in the
world for the history of it's existance.  The Northern
California GP rescue site www.gprnc.org as well as a
mirror site www.lgd.org both have lots of information.

My favorite story is about a dog that is now 10 years
old or so....Buddy.  I owned him for several years in
between a couple other people---and got to see him on
a visit to my friend's farm a week ago.  Buddy is what
a GP exemplifies and is a "poster child" for GPs in
NC.  Anyway....on the farm he was on before he came to
me, the lady had problems with drunk neighbors coming
over to harrass her sheep.  One night, the neighbors
decided to hop in the sheep pasture with the
sheep..... :o))  That still gets a good chuckle out of
me, because you know what Buddy did?  He put them
right down in the corner (muddy, too) of her pasture
and would not let them budge so much as an inch.  She
woke up and heard all the commotion of people
screaming and hollering, dog barking telling her there
was big trouble if orders weren't obeyed---maybe word
leaked back to the university professors over this one
as well???----back to the story......  She comes out
of her house with flashlight in hand and follows the
noise and finds these idiots complete with wet
trousers (probably from several sources if her story
can be believed) terrified to move a muscle and Buddy
not about to let them either.  She assessed the
situation and told Buddy to stop and let them go home.
 He did after some questioning looks back and forth at
her---.  Buddy never laid a tooth on them, but for
some strange reason, she never had another problem
with those neighbors after that......

Are there GPs that don't work?  Yes.  Are there people
that don't work?  Yes.  Learn what you can and make
your selection decisions based on your particular
situation and needs.  Expect any respectable breeder
to work with you and to be available for help down the
road.  Ask for references of dogs they have
sold/placed.  My first pup was a disaster and I
learned to my chagrin that in NC there were (may still
be) lots of CRAPPY breeders with poor stock dogs.  I
didn't know enough to look around as far as the web
resources allow today, but through that dog and the
problems I had with her (before ultimately placing her
in another home that thought her poor behavior was
just fine and normal for the breed and for sheep
farms), I got to know Beverly and Catherine.

There will be a National Geographic program out in
January on LGDs and how they work and perform.  Should
be really interesting if I can get hubby to set the
VCR for me.

Mary Ellen