[Jacob-list] handling sheep

Gillian Fuqua gillian_fuqua at pobox.com
Fri Oct 17 08:49:17 EDT 2003

    Greetings from Middlesex, VT.  To deal with the sheep, think like a
sheep, they after all think  you are a funny looking ovine.  Do you have a
smaller  pen you can corner them in? Also the horns make great handles.  Get
in there with some handfuls of grain ( I use the organic, not much more
expensive) so they think of you as the candy lady.  I have run my girls all
over my place as they follow me as I shake a grain dish.
    As for shearing, I pay a pro.  That way I get the best fleece, which is
what I am after.  I'll have my pastoral experiences in other areas .