[Jacob-list] Handling sheep

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 15 13:47:03 EDT 2003

Donna,

You have some good people up your way.  I would
recommend getting to know and love your sheep.  That
will go a long way to solving your problems right
there.  I have 3 of the sheep that came off the island
from Maine this summer.  They didn't bother to mow me
down when we crammed (literally) 16 sheep in a 18 foot
X 3 foot area drawing OPP samples a couple days ago.
The grain bucket has lots to do with their interest
and friendliness as well.  Some people use crackers.
Since I feed grain to everybody regularly, I also
hand-feed a few handfuls through the fence.  Sheep see
others going for that sort of pampering and start
coming up.  You can go in with the sheep, sit down and
read a book....they will get curious and start
checking you out.  Sounds like you tried the
strong-arm technique that my husband would use---which
won't work worth a flip with these sheep.  He is also
of the opinion that if they don't do what he says,
that raising the pitch of his voice and yelling at
them in English will aid in their "getting it".  LOL.

Once you work with the girls and get them used to you
and a grain bucket, you can move them from one area to
another with the grain bucket.  Wait for feeding time,
open the gate with full bucket in hand, and call for
them.  Walk ahead...have your next area open, and
similar feeding set-up there.  Go in, drop the food,
swing back around them (giving wide berth so they
don't spook), and shut the gate behiind you.

Mary Ellen

=====
Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN
ISeeSpots Farm