[Jacob-list] Handling sheep

crackerdst at surfglobal.net crackerdst at surfglobal.net
Wed Oct 15 11:22:57 EDT 2003

I have 3 Jacobs that I recently aquired. I have also no previous sheep
experience . I am trying to move my 3 jacobs from one place to another and
would like some tips. The other day the vet and I had to tackle them for
worming . At one point I had chased them into the pen , but before I'd had
a chance to slam the door they turned and mowed me right down flat on my
back ( and escaped ). Jacobs are called a " small to medium breed of
sheep"
so I was amazed that they could knock 135lbs of determined human right off
her feet. So... anyone with any good ideas as to how to wrestle them . I
still have to hand shear them this year ! Hubbie is too chicken , and
anyway I really want to do it myself and I KNOW people smaller than me do
it. I need to move them 100 yards to their new wonderful winter digs .
     Also , It would be helpful if you guys would say what area of the
country you are in - what is true of one part may not work for others
.
                                       Thanks Donna in No. Vermont