[Jacob-list] lambing in the night

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 14 19:47:14 EST 2003

Hi,

That is why I use my handy-dandy baby monitor.  It is the one that we were given 13 years ago when I was pregnant with my firstborn.  By the time we were through with it, along came the sheep, and it has set in the sheep shed since.  I keep the sheep fairly close to the sheep shed at night, and it seems most of the time if a sheep is in labor AND SHE IS FRIENDLY, she comes into the sheep shed to have her lambs.  The ones that are not friendly (that is to me) invariably have their babies out in the farthest possible corner of the pen.  There is usually some other ewe that gives away the fact that "something is up" in the sheep yard.  The monitor saves me crawling out of my warm bed to go out and check in my usual obsessive/compulsive manner.

And just for the record, I think I have only had 1 or 2 sets of lambs as a storm is coming in or while the storm is coming along.  They seem to wait until the storm is over a day or so....then pop them out.  That flies in the face of delivery room nurse comments, and people who believe in barometric changes causing lambs to be born......  just what I have witnessed here.

Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN
ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep:  Lambs, adults, wool