[Jacob-list] wool wrap soap

Karen karen at benjaminfarms.com
Fri Nov 14 12:06:04 EST 2003

    Wool wrap soap sells here for around $6.00 a bar, using a homemade
soap. It is a fun idea, kind of like a wash cloth wrapped around the
soap.  After it is all done, you can tie a piece of yarn with the
picture of the animal on it with a comment like "brought to you
especially- by animal's name".
    We use two pieces of roving- one to wrap lenghtwise, the other
widthwise.  After we have those two sizes of roving approx. to the size
that you will be wrapping around the soap,  I get them wet  and pat them
around the soap.  I usally use the kitchen sink.  Then I use the hottest
water possible and I start with a small squirt of mild dish soap to get
the felting started.  I rub the soap and felt just enough to cover the
whole soap with the idea, that the more the soap is used, the more it
will felt in the future. Then I sit it in my window to sun and air dry.
    The down side is, if the wool is too thick, it is harder for the
soap to dry.  If the soap is unable to dry after each use.. it tends to
get mushy. I have not figured out how to get past this one.
Karen Sigler
Benjamin Farms,  Utah