[Jacob-list] birthing

Linda Bjarkman patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Fri Nov 14 11:32:00 EST 2003

I've fed at the same time every since we got sheep 10 years ago.  Lambs have come at
most all hours of the day.  But, it does seem that in a given year, most of the ewes
will lamb at about the same time of day.

I read on one of the sheep lists that if a ewe is not showing signs of labor by
11pm, then she usually will hang in there until morning.  That seems to be true
around here.

Linda

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 10:42:33 EST, ACAMDA at aol.com wrote:
>Good morning, everyone!
>
>My husband has several friends in the cattlemen's association, and they were
>discussing when calves were born.  It seems an informal study showed that if
>you fed your cows at night, the calves would be born during the day.  If you
>fed your cows in the morning, the calves would be born during the night.  Has
>anyone seen a similar correlation for our lovely sheep?
>
>Just curious.  Lambing makes me nervous, as we're new shepherds.  (I have
>three children and still haven't recovered from labor pains!)
>
>Kathey Sweet Georgia Valley

  http://www.PatchworkFibers.com
 Registered Jacob Sheep
 Handspun Yarns