[Jacob-list] rug felting

Bill Thompson Emma at netins.net
Mon Nov 10 22:05:47 EST 2003

O.K.  I will try to make this as plain as I can with words. (I hope)
Plastic to work on
1/2 flat sheet or large piece of muslin (enough to cover top and bottom of rug before felting)
about 2 pounds of jacobs wool'
felting soap ( 1/2 bar Dial Natural grated into 1 quart of hot water, shake and let over night, will be slimmy or you can use Dawn dishwashing soap, about 1/4 cup to a quart of hot water)
hot water and a large sponge
5 inch diamiter PVC pipe, about 5 feet long
baling twine
More plastic large enough to wrap PVC pipe

 To make a 3 X 4 rug, you will need an area at least 4 X 5 to work on.  Jacobs will shrink about 25 %.  If you have swimming "tubes" they will help make you a felting area that will not let water run all over.

Lay out a shower curtain or plastic table cloth on your work area, you can use the floor if you are younger than me.  Use the foam swimming tubes to help make a basin under the curtain or plastic tablecloth.  Next lay out a sheet on top of the plastic, this will help keep the felt in shape.

Comb or card your wool, I find that a little more white than black felts better, try not to have it too hairy
1.  lay wool out evenly about 3/4 of an inch all going in the same direction, over lapping, on first layer don't worry if solid
2  lay anoth layer of wool the same as first only in a 90 degree to the first layer
3.  repeat # 1.-------Repeat # 2------------repeat 1 & 2 till you have about 8 inches in your stack
4.  Using your hot water, add some of your soap solution and sponge your whole wool area taking care not to get to sloppy.
     You want to wet the whole thing down, it should compress to about 1 1/2 inch.  Now fold the edges of your sheet over the              edges, fold the corners smoothly, this helps keep the edges straight.
5.  Now you start rubbing, with a "little pressure" about like rubbing a baby's backside.  Do not go in circles, that will make holes
    go one way and then the other for about 10 minutes, helps if the family helps rub too, makes it go faster. Flip and do other         side.  Do this a couple of times
6.  Now, role up from end inside of the sheet, try to wring or drain off excess water, stick in microwave for a minute or two if
    microwave is big enough.  Felting is better with some heat, but works fine if you don't have it, just takes longer.
7.  Lay out (still in sheet) and roll around your PVC pipe, wrap in plastic, tie with twine, and roll back and forth for about 5 minutes     on counter or on the floor, works good with kids to roll back and forth or set in rocker and roll with your feet.  After 5 minutes         completely  open from PVC pipe, turn pipe 90 degrees, wrap again and roll for 5 - 10 minutes.
8.  Open all the way to the wool, remove sheets, if not too big spin out in washer, re-wrap and add more hot water/soap solution.
    Make sure it is never too soapy, or the fibers wll slide past each other and not felt together.  Repeat several more times.
    Rinse in washer and spin out water, once or twice.  Lay out on carpet, on towels, cover with planks to weight but allow air
    move planks as rug dries.
E-mail with any problems or questions, hope it works for you, all who try, keep in touch and I will try to answer questions.
Good Luck ------------Lou Anne