[Jacob-list] OPP and Johnes Testing

Nedra Darnell fibrefolds at sg23.com
Thu Nov 6 04:26:57 EST 2003

I was in an OPP/Johnes testing routine that our vet recommended for our
previous flock of testing all sheep over 6 months of age for OPP and Johnes
every year for three years, then every fifth year, segregating and testing
any sheep coming in, even if they were from an OPP negative flock.  We had
the testing done right after shearing because it was easier for him to find
the jugular and combined vaccinations in the visit.  Expensive visits!  The
samples were tested at Cornell at $12 per sheep for both tests and the
results were back in less than a week.  We never had a retest request.  I
plan to start in again after shearing this year.  Our vet said he would
write a negative flock certification for us, if we followed his program.

Nedra Darnell
Fibre Folds Farm
Bath, NY