[Jacob-list] black lamb mystery solved

Melody critterland at bendcable.com
Fri May 16 21:18:47 EDT 2003

I think I have solved the mystery of the black lambs I was telling about in
the batch of Jacobs I was given.  It seems that their sire (recently
deceased, I have never seen him) was a second-generation offspring of a
"possible" crossbreeding.  His grandmother "may" have been bred by "a big
white sheep with a flat face",  from a herd of some breed with hornless
ewes.  Hardly a scientific description, but at least I know where the
coloration probably came from.  I guessed it had to be from the ram, as the
lambs in question are from 3 different ewes.  So--having wethered the
"Jacob-looking" ram lambs, and knowing I will not sell the ewes to anyone to
breed, I think that contamination of the gene pool is taken care of.  The
ewes in the group are not related to that ram, so should be ok.  Boy, prying
information from previous animal owners is like trying to get  Saddam
Hussein to admit he's a closet Christian!
Melody at CritterLand
Redmond OR