[Jacob-list] CHOCOLATE LILAC

Linda Bjarkman patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Thu May 8 06:54:34 EDT 2003

Hi Carl,

This is an interesting thread.  Thanks for the nice comment on Junco's horns - they
are rather spectacular!

I would actually call him a chocolate lilac from his picture.  He's not here yet, so
I haven't had the chance to actually touch him.  His breeder, Jacquee' Gillespie, is
quite knowledgeable about lilacs - I'll have to ask her opinion. The eye patch looks
like a pale chocolate.  The ewe picture I sent is a chocolate lilac (at least that
is what I think) - she's four and has very little fading.  I consider a sheep a
chocolate lilac if the yarn I spin is brownish, rather than greyish and the facial
markings are a definite brown.  Of course, I haven't had many lilacs, so don't
really know.  I have a ram now with the eye ring, but he is definitely black and
white.  I think that denotes a lilac carrier.  His full brother this year is a
lilac.  I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say all the spots run
together - that sounds more like mottling than a color definition.

It would be interesting to see some pictures of lilacs - any body out there want to
share some?

Linda

On Wed, 7 May 2003 18:00:54 -0700 (PDT), CARL FOSBRINK wrote:

>Linda Bjarkman has sent me a picture of a new blue/gray Lilac ram she is
>getting that has GREAT laterals. Everyone REALLY needs to see good photos of
>the different so called Lilac colors, which seem to vary from just a brown
>ring around the eye of an otherwise black and white Jacob to blue/gray to
>chocolate or where the spots seem to run together and cause a blackish/purple
>color in the wool. I have seen all of these and the owners all called them
>Lilac.

Visit our 2003 lambs at::
 http://www.patchworkfibers.com/2003lambs.html
 Registered Jacob Sheep