[Jacob-list] spots

Betty Berlenbach lambfarm at sover.net
Tue May 6 07:33:27 EDT 2003

I have a friend who crossed a jacob ram (black and white) with a crossbred black ewe, but she was the product of a jacob and a romney/dorset, and got a jacob looking lamb.  I assumed it was either because of the dorset or because somehow, the half of her that was jacob combined with the jacob ram to produce a jacob lamb.

So, you are saying that when you use a black and white ram on crossbred longwools (now is part of the cross jacob?), then you get piebald?  THat would be consistent with Sue's experience, if part of the crossbrededness was jacob.  Otherwise, not.  In situations like that I can see people rationalizing and saying since it is piebald, it got the jacob genes, and hence is purebred jacob, to which I would say, it got the jacob piebald gene, but that doesn't guarantee it got ALL the jacob genes.  Does that make sense?

This is neat stuff.  By the way, I didn't lend you Max, I gave him to you.  I don't want him back, thank you very much!  You are welcome to say I sold him to you if you want.  But he's yours, yours, yours!

Now, did you tell me: did Max breed a black and white jacob as well?  I think that is necessary for a control, so to speak.

Another thought:  Do you suppose there is a difference in outcome of crosses between the earlier importations of jacobs and the Hescock/Lasseau/Rockefeller/etc. (those imported in the 70's after there had been some crossing in Britain) AND are there any flocks in this country which are purely earlier importations with no later importation blood in them?  We know that Maizie has pure later importation, as she has a closed flock.  If we could find a flock with no Hescock, etc. blood, then we might try this on the two jacob strains, or whatever the right term is, and may yield different results.  In effect, could the later importations all be the equivalent of what you have yielded: all jacob crosses.  It's for sure that the lambs I get from Hescock line ewes, or what is suspected to be Hescock line ewes frequently have a bit of wool forward of the horns, even if it does disappear by six months.  And a friend, who has all originally (or most, she vascillates) Lasseau ewes, has a predominance of lambs with topknots of wool, very long, like a clown wig.  And they are bigger than my ewes.

Also, what happens when you put dominant white ram on lilacs?  There's so many factors here.  Or did you tell me that?  Gotta' reread your note.  Forget it.  Just reread.