[Jacob-list] Chocolate Lilacs--Purity?

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Fri May 2 05:16:58 EDT 2003

When we cross our lilac Jacob sheep to homozygous white longwool sheep, we
get piebald black and white lambs. I have done enough test crossing that I
am reasonably sure that the black is the dominant Jacob black.

I have never seen a crossbred lilac sheep. In my experience, the sheep has
to be at least 3/4 Jacob in order for lilac to be expressed at all.

This is going to be a little uncomfortable to say, but "lilac" expression is
"proof" that the animal is "purebred Jacob".

If the question is: "How does the gene cause the expression of  lilac?" Then
I haven't a clue. We're working on it.

Neal Grose
North Carolina
As seen on a bumper sticker: "A closed mouth gathers no feet"