[Jacob-list] Sore Foot

Debbie Bennett dbennet954 at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 30 10:41:32 EST 2003

We have really wet winters here. Sometimes wet feet will just get sore
(think about when you sit in the bathtub for too long and your feet
feel tender when you step out). And then there is that extra weight
from the pregnancy. Sometimes its scald (harder to see in sheep,
sometimes you can smell it or the skin at the base of the hoof feels
bumpy). We fight scald every Winter with our goats. We thought we had
tried everything and then an old farmer told of his solution: take a
syringe and draw up 1/2 penicillin (can be outdated) and 1/2 rubbing
alcohol. Take off the needle and squirt the mixture between their toes.
The penicillin will prevent or cure infection and the alcohol will dry
the hoof. This has worked great for us.

Debbie Bennett
Feral Fibre Farm
Oakland, Oregon